Salvos Stores & Feast Watson has partnered once again for the Re-Love project, which sees 5 Australian designers “re-love” a piece of furniture using Feast Watson products and auction them to raise funds for the Salvos.
“We love everything that this project stands for. The ability to channel our creative energy into bringing a tired old piece of furniture back to life, while using quality products for a fabulous cause!” – Norsu Interiors
The team at Norsu Interiors have told us just how they created their beautiful table & chairs for the project this year.
Norsu Interiors create beautiful and simple Scandanavian inspired art and homewares and have stayed true to form in creating this beauty.
The table & chairs were sourced from Abbotsford Salvos Stores in Victoria and chosen for it’s versatility, functionality and its potential to be upcycled in a completely different way!
Norsu were inspired by the Scandi-like feel to the pieces and wanted to give them a unique “Norsu” look. Thankfully, everything worked in their favour and when they sanded back the chairs they revealed a beautiful blonde wood – very Scandi!
So how did they create this beautiful design?
They first wanted to ensure they maintained the integrity of the piece and so they were careful to invest a significant amount of time preparing and removing all the original stains and varnish.
- Starting by giving all pieces a very thorough sand, they removed their original finishes
- For the chairs, two coats of Feast Watson Stain & Varnish Liming White was applied, then they added the custom-made leather and brass detail chair pads
- For the table, a base coat of Feast Watson Liming White was applied before several coats of Feast Watson Liming White (oil based) mixed with 2% Feast Watson Pro tint in Walnut to give it a lovely sorbet colour
- Once all the paint had been applied, we finished with a strip of brass around the edge of the table
This beautiful piece by Norsu Interiors is available to buy here!
The guys at Norsu Interiors also gave us their top tips for starting an up-cycling project:
- Make sure you love the piece before you start
- Invest time in the preparation and bring back the piece to its original form
- Allow your creativity to take over and experiment with different finishes, hardware and accessories
- Relax and enjoy the process; don’t rush it!
Shop all the pieces from this year’s project here!