In a style collaboration with Salvos Stores, the RMIT Diploma of Fashion Styling graduates were recently challenged to create one original (yet commercial) fashion concept using all clothes and accessories sourced from Salvos. Each team demonstrated how easy and affordable it can be to put together a look that is edgy and intriguing yet sustainable and affordable. The final looks were then styled and photographed on location in our Brunswick store.
Course Tutor, Paul Castro is big sustainability advocate and practitioner, and wanted to inspire his styling students to get involved with an exercise in creativity and sustainability and planned this project to encourage his students to bring together their knowledge of identifying current trends and predicting future fashion influences to showcase their styling skills in a real-life brief.
Paul has has collaborated with Salvos Stores previously when he was invited to join a group of artists and designers, under the direction of eco stylist Faye Delanty (frequent Salvos Collaborator), to participate in Fash Fest in Canberra. He has his own label – AMASSMENT (www.amassment.co), which revolves around repurposing garments, a wonderful endeavour and totally worth checking out.
The resulting looks from the student stylists’ photo shoot are fantastic and eclectic! It’s so refreshing to see forward-thinking stylists embracing second-hand and reuse and repurposing. Look out for some clever style tricks (including the unique ways in using a man’s shirt) in the photos shown above.
Between the 12 Styling teams, they covered off 13 looks that include:
- ‘Vintage urban/World Collision’ by Alain & Allannah (@visionbyalain & @abplus1 @abevilacquastyling)
- ‘Cuban Vintage’ by Tamasin & Pia (@tamasincrowe & @p.iah),
- ‘Tropical’ by Stephanie & Hayley (@stephaniiedella & @haleymmcgregor),
- ‘Colour Blocking Rainbow’ by Sarah & Mollie (@sarah.mstyling & @styled.bymollie)
- ‘Metallic Gold’ by Monica & Georgia (@tutejamonica & @gseduikis)
- ‘Double Denim’ by Chelsea & Jasmine (@ccookstyle & @jasminemadour)
- ‘Gold Luxe’ by Sasha, Lauren & Linda (@sasha.styling, laurencaia.styling & @flifel)
- ‘Retro Sporty’ by Hannah & Alannah (@ohhlalahannah/@holistyling & @AZB.BZA)
- ‘Relaxed Tailoring’ by Innes & Emerson (@inneslaurendesigns & @emersonemini)
- ‘Navy Vibes’ by Luka & Olive (@lukacolaiacovostyle & @olivegaga)
- ‘Nostalgic Athleisure’ by Mimi and Hesh (@hausofmimi & hesh.batagoda)
- ‘Boys on Tour’ by Sophia, Cyndell & Georgia (@sophiastamellos.stylist, @knipit.style & @denimbydenham)