It’s the holidays and once all the partying is over, thoughts turn to consolidating all of the stuff we’ve acquired, whether it was over the years, or more recent items that we thought we needed and haven’t got around to using or wearing (and we are all guilty of that!). So what can we do with the things we no longer need?
We encourage you to think about reuse, recycling or donating. If you are considering generously donating your unwanted goods then please consider donating to Salvos Stores.
- KEEPING THINGS OUT OF LANDFILL: Australia – and the world – is struggling with this ‘throw away society’ we find ourselves in. Items are so cheap these days that they are easily replaceable as soon as the next trend comes along. We encourage everyone to think more sustainably and consider what items can be reused, recycled, donated, upcycled or mended.
- GIVE AN ITEM A SECOND LIFE: You may not have a need for it anymore but there is always someone else who would love to give it a new lease of life and will probably get just as much joy from it as you did (how nice is that!).
- HELP RAISE FUNDS: Donated items are sold in store to help raise funds to continue community projects that support vulnerable Australians including those with addiction, mental health concerns, escaping domestic violence, struggling financially and those struggling with homelessness.
- LESS STUFF = LESS STRESS: We all have stuff we don’t use hanging about the home and it’s been well documented that decluttering is not only good for physically freeing up space but it’s also beneficial for your mental health too.
Did you know that goods donated are sold in store to raise funds for The Salvation Army. The funds we raise helps them with support, counselling and plan long-term strategies that will give them them hope for a future. We believe everyone should be treated with respect and dignity, regardless of their situation and by supporting these programs, we give them a hand up not just a hand out.
What you can donate:
All Salvos Stores stores accept the following items:
- CLOTHING & ACCESSORIES: Clothing, footwear and accessories in good condition.
- BRIC-A-BRAC & HOMEWARES: Household items that are in good condition.
- TOYS, BOOKS, CDS, DVDS & VINYL: Items that are in good condition.
- ELECTRICAL GOODS: Small electrical items such as radios in good, working condition.
Bigger Salvos Stores stores will accept the following items:
- WHITE GOODS: Items such as refrigerators in good working condition.
QUALITY FURNITURE: Furniture that is not broken, stained or torn.
To find out exactly what your local store accepts as donations, we suggest you check the Salvos Stores website first and if your local doesn’t it will list surrounding stores as well to give you more choice.
Best time to donate:
Best times are store opening hours and you can drop them of in store to a staff member so into the collection bins in front of the store. Our stores are open longer this festive season to accept donations outside of normal business hours to make it more convenient for you. To find out when your local store is open, see our Facebook page.
How to donate larger items:
Did you know that Salvos Stores provide free collection from your home or business for items that won’t ft in your car. For more information or to schedule a pick up, please call 13 SALVOS (13 72 58), Mon-Fri 8am-8pm, Sat 9am-5pm (AEST/AEDT) or book online.
We are very grateful to all of our wonderful customers and donors who help us help those in need. Thank you for your generosity!